Part of knowing how to build a chain link fence is understanding which parts you will need.
A. Line Post Cap holds the top rail in place. Use one of these for each line post.
B. Top Rail runs along the top of the posts. Use the same linear footage of this as you will for the entire fence.
C. End Post Cap is also called a “terminal cap”. Use one of these for each end post.
D. Rail Ends cap the rail at each end post, gate post and corner post. Use one for each end post, one for each gate post, and two for each corner post.
E. Tension Bands hold the tension bar. Use three for each end and gate post. Use six for each corner post for fences up to 4-feet tall. Use four per end and gate posts. Use eight per corner for fences up to 5-feet tall. Use five per end and gate post. Use ten per corner post for fences up to 6-feet tall.
F. Tie Wire ties the chain-link fabric to the top rail and line posts. Use one for every 24-inches of the top rail and one for every 12-inches of each line post.
G. Chain Link Fence Posts support the top rail and chain-link fabric. Use one of these within every 10-foot run of fence.
H. Tension Wire adds rigidity to the bottom of the chain-link fabric along the bottom. Use the same linear footage of this as you will for the entire fence.
I. End Post / Corner Post adds support and rigidity to the chain-link fabric. Use one for each end of the fence, at each corner. Use two for each gate opening.
J. A tension Bar is a vertical bar woven into the ends of the fence fabric at each end post, gate post and corner. Use one for each end post and gate post and two for each corner.
Below are some additional pieces to consider if you want to understand how to install a chain link fence:
- Top Rail Sleeve connects two runs of top rail. Use one of these for every two top rails that need to be joined.
- Gates come pre-assembled. Use one for each opening you wish to create. You can create a double opening using two gates.
- Gate Post Hinge to mount to the post. Use two for each swinging gate.
- Gate Frame Hinge to mount to the gate. Use two for each swinging gate.
- Brace Bands hold the rail ends and mount above the tension band.